Skip the endless baking this holiday season and tempt your friends and family with some healthy treats. Impress your guests by turning everyday ingredients into a festive celebration of food! The following recipes are the perfect addition to a holiday gathering, party, breakfast or potluck.
These trees may be miniature but their nutrient content isn’t! Avocado is an excellent source of healthy fat and this fruit (…Yes it’s a fruit!) is an excellent source of fiber; almost 7 grams per half. This recipe is the perfect opportunity to get your kids in the kitchen this holiday season.
Whole grain pita
Yellow bell pepper, diced
Red bell pepper, diced
- Cut pita into triangles.
- Spread guacamole onto triangle pitas.
- Add diced yellow pepper to the top of the tree as the star.
- Place diced red pepper along the tree as garland.
- Slice a small hole in the bottom of the pita and add a pretzel, as the tree trunk.
Not your typical Christmas tree – this one is trimmed with nutrients from a variety of vegetables. The greens in this tree are packed with vitamin C and fiber and the red cherry tomatoes add a boost of antioxidants. Impress your guests with this festive veggie platter at the next gathering.
1 head cauliflower, chopped
2-3 heads broccoli, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes
¼ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Place the cauliflower florets on the bottom of the plate as the snow.
- Stack the pretzels on the plate as the tree trunk.
- Place the broccoli and cherry tomatoes in the shape of a tree with garland.
- Add yellow pepper slices to the top of the tree as the star.
This recipe is a healthy twist on the traditional pancake. It’s the perfect combination of antioxidant-rich fruits, protein-packed yogurt and fiber rich pumpkin pancakes. Spend a snowy morning putting together this fun breakfast with the whole family!
1 apple, sliced (wings and scarf)
2 slices of clementine, chopped into triangles (feet and beak)
1 banana, sliced (2 eyes and pompom of Santa hat)
1 blueberry, cut in half (eyes)
¼ cup Greek yogurt (rim of Santa hat)
½ pint raspberries (Santa hat)
- Cook the pumpkin pancake
- Cut 2 apple slices for the wings, and 4 smaller ones for the scarf
- Cut a tangerine slice in half and place as the feet
- Place a triangle tangerine slice as the nose
- Place 2 banana slices for the eyes and add half a blueberry on both
- Add a greek yogurt hat rim over the pancake
- Add the rasberries and banana on the top